When you think of a leader and leadership, you might think of your boss or someone else in a tailored suit donning a heavy briefcase. You might also think of iconic personalities in history. But have you ever thought of the other leaders you might be surrounded by? A leader can be found within your childhood teacher who inspired you to color in between the lines and chase your dreams. A leader can be found within the young college student with visions of entrepreneurship working late into the night. And then there is YOU. Do you possess leadership qualities?
A Leader knows what needs to be done and will tell you to do it. However, a Great Leader knows what needs to be done and will show you how to do it. Leadership is about inspiring, motivating, and exciting others.
Take these five steps into perspective when you set out on the path of becoming a Great Leader:
- Face challenges with ease and honesty. Great Leaders will not only be prepared for challenges, but will also welcome them with open arms. When running any business, challenges and obstacles are to be expected. A Great Leader will take on a challenge with an open mind and words of encouragement. Great leaders are also realistic and demonstrate trustworthiness and true concern. They genuinely support and care about those they work with from colleagues to customers.
- Not only “talk the talk,” but also “walk the walk.” A Great Leader will successfully communicate the expectations of the business to his or her peers. This includes everyone’s responsibilities and the company’s core values, mission, and philosophy. It is even more important, though, that the Great Leader follow through on those expectations. A Great Leader is meant to be a living role model.
- Be genuine, unique, and authentic. Leaders come in all shapes and sizes. Don’t be someone that you’re not. Be someone that you would want to represent your business and who your peers should aspire to be.
- Always have a passion for finding something more. Though a leader should be a teacher, a leader should also be a learner. A Great Leader is always on the lookout for new ideas and ways to take their businesses to the next level. The world is always changing, so it is important to be innovative, inquisitive, and informed.
- Master the Art of Visualization. When you function in a positive environment, it is a lot easier to be a passionate and productive Great Leader in everything that you do. One of the key parts of the law of attraction is the use of visualization. Create goals and even write them down on paper so that they are tangible and easy to see. Once you have your goals, visualize the outcome.
Next time you question your leadership status, think about these five steps. Transform from a good leader to a Great one.